EEE 563 Nuclear Reactor System Dynamics and Diagnostics
In addition to the on-campus class section, this course is offered regularly via the Internet. For information on registering for the online section, see the Fulton GOEE Engineering Online.
ASU Catalog Description:
Time dependent solution to neutron diffusion equation. Reactor kinetics and reactivity changes.
Dynamics, stability and control of reactor systems. Modeling neutronic and thermal processes.
System characterization in time and frequency domains. Reactor surveillance and diagnostics.
Prerequisite: EEE 562.
Course Objective: Provide students with a working understanding of nuclear reactor
kinetics and power plant dynamics, and condition monitoring techniques for the reactor core and related systems.
The corresponding Course Outcomes are
- Students can solve the point kinetics equations for various reactivity insertions;
- Students can couple the nuclear steam supply system behavior to reactivity feedback mechanisms;
- Students are cognizant of the applications of signal processing techniques for nuclear power plant surveillance and diagnostics.
- Syllabus: EEE 563 Syllabus (2 page document)
given out the first day of class.
- Lecture Slides are located at the My ASUcourses website.
- Textbook Corrections
- p. 88: in Table 3.5, change the decay constant symbol to
i instead of li.
- p. 331: between Eqs. (7.5) and (7.6), in the formula for the macroscopic absorption cross-section, v0 should be a constant, not a function v0(E).
- p. 343: in Figure 7.4, the reference should be to Eq. (7.28) instead of Eq. (7.27).
- pp. 346-347: delete the p in both Eqs. (7.44) and (7.45).
- p. 360: in Example 7.10, the reactor radius should be 41.7 cm instead of 48.5 (corrected value from Example 6.3). This correction results in a final worth of 6.9% for the rods.
- p. 369: in the equation in the middle of the page, there is a missing "= d/dT" before "(ln p)".
- pp. 369-370: in five instances, the greek character zeta () is used with ; instead of zeta, the correct greek character is xi
(), i.e., use M
sM instead of M
- p. 370: in the three expressions for prompt, there needs to be a negative sign with the term to the right of the equal sign.
- p. 384: in Eq. (7.106), the macroscopic cross section of Sm should be the microscopic cross section.
- p. 386: in Eq. (7.111), the exponential should have a negative sign.
- p. 391: in Eq. (7.119), N25 is missing before "(r,t)" within the first term in the square brackets.
- p. 399: in Problem 7.19, change the reactor height to 100 cm (instead of 100 m).
- The homework assignments and solutions are located at the
My ASUcourses website.
- Other Optional Handouts
Last updated: March 24, 2016
You are the visitor to
this page since October 13, 2009.
Return to Dr. Holbert's Courses
Send comments to